Saturday, 14 November 2009

WDD - In my little finger

World diabetes day... here in New Zealand we're already 3 hours in. What will it mean to me here? Not a lot, other than the little bit of noise I'll make about it I probably wont see or hear anything else here. I will see a lot of action on the net though (You guys rock!).

Anyway, it's always my diabetes day. Diabetes is a part of me, in my head space, in the bruises on my injection sites, in my handbag, in my routine, even in my little finger. The hard part is sharing any of that with other people, and even harder is finding someone who understands or wants to understand.

But I think WDD is a good thing - as is any moment that concentrates on doing something good for diabetics. Whether it's some major thing today, or some tiny thing you do any day - if it educates even just a few people; helps someone get diagnosed; helps someone understand their diabetic partner; or encourages someone to search for a cure, all those things make a big difference.

It's the butterfly effect, baby :D

So today's a good day to speak up a little! Light a spark of interest in someone and see where it goes :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is obviously a lot to know about this. I think you made some good points in Features also.

Snowbrush said...

You're consumed by diabetes, me by arthritis. My problem won't kill me, but it sure do make life miserable. I guess I would trade with you, and you would probably trade with me too, not that either of us would be happy with what we got.

Abbey said...

I just chanced up on your site and would like to say that although this may be half a year late, I'd like to say that WDD is a big part of me because I have watched relatives suffer through diabetes, and it's no fun.